Anthony Martial has become the most expensive teenage footballer in the world after Manchester United spent £36million (about N11 billion) on him.
Manchester United fans were quite startled after the 19-year-old France starlet from Monaco was transferred for such a big amount of money. But who is he?
1.His talent was first spotted by scouts from Lyon in 2009 when, aged just 14, he was drafted into the club’s academy. During his second season in the club’s under-17 team he scored 32 goals in just 21 games, earning him representative honours.
2. In 2012, Martial represented France in the European Under 17 Championships in Slovenia and was rewarded with his professional debut for Lyon six months later in a Europa League tie.
New Manchester United striker Anthony Martial
3. In June 2013, Monaco signed the Paris-born starlet in a shock £3.6m (over N1 billion) deal. Martial established himself as one of the best young talents in France, scoring eight goals in the last 12 games of Ligue 1 to help Monaco finish third in the table. As a result, he was rewarded with a new contract that tied him to Monaco until 2019.[post_ad]
4. His main asset is speed, he is also blessed with strength to power past opponents. He is comfortable with both feet and has a powerful shot. He is capable of playing as a right-sided attacker and his youth-team pedigree suggests he will become more prolific in front of goal as he matures.
5. Anthony Martial is married to his childhood sweetheart Samantha. The couple have an infant daughter named Toto, and are currently expecting their second child.
6. Martial prefers to stay in, enjoys home-cooked meals by his mum, is a television addict and likes to relax with his family following training sessions and matches. He has a love for video games, including FIFA, and TV shows such as Dexter.