The Napoli superstar was supposed to be part of Nigeria’s squad for the AFCON, but he had to pull out due to a facial injury
Super Eagles boss Augustine Eguavoen has revealed that Victor Osimhen pulled out of the upcoming Africa Cup of Nations because of his health issues.
The 23-year-old Napoli star was supposed to be part of the squad that will represent Nigeria at the upcoming AFCON, but he withdrew after a constant back and forth between the NFF and Napoli.
The former Lille star sustained a nasty facial injury in late November after colliding with Milan Skriniar in Napoli’s 3-2 to Inter Milan.
Napoli revealed the 23-year-old would be ruled out of action for two to three months following his surgery.
Nevertheless, his return time was cut short after the medical team at Napoli designed a face mask to protect him from aggravating his injury.
The Nigerian star even declared himself fit and ready for the AFCON via his Twitter handle.
However, the story changed last week when Osimhen pulled out of the AFCON after Napoli reported that the Nigerian hitman had tested positive for Covid-19.
Super Eagles boss Eguavoen has now revealed that Osimhen pulled out of the Nations Cup because of his health.
“Osimhen, it’s a pity that he will not be at the AFCON. He told me practically and pleaded with me, and I saw reasons, Eguavoen told the media.
“I tried for hours to convince him, but his health comes first, which is my concern.”
“When he spoke with me, he was disappointed, and he told me he was not OK. And did not want to go to the AFCON not fully 100 per cent fit.”
“I gave him a few hours and called him back to see whether he will change his mind, and he told me he will be going for evaluation on his face on January 4 and 5 before doctors can make a final decision.”
“With that injury, you have to consider his health. It’s a tough one.”
Nevertheless, the Nigerian star could return to action on the 16th of January when Napoli take on Bologna in the Italian Serie A.