FC Barcelona are taking no chances in the ongoing transfer window and have been one of the most active top clubs so far. The Catalan giants have already seen the arrival of three players from three different clubs and positions but business isn’t over just yet.
One position Barça want to strengthen for the upcoming season is the striker role. They feel a huge responsibility is placed on the Messi-Suarez-Neymar
trio and need a quality backup, a player who can fill in for Luis Suarez to prevent the Uruguay from being fatigued or overworked.
So many names have been listed and there have been a long list of players linked to the club over the past few weeks. The likes of Luciano Vietto, Angel Correa, Lucas Perez and Kevin Gameiro have been said to be targets of FC Barcelona as former prime target Nolito has joined English club Manchester City.
FC Barcelona technical secretary Robert Fernandez made it known in a public interview that the club are indeed in the market for a new striker and will definitely sign one this summer. He said one thing that put curiosity in the hearts of Barça fans, that they will try as much as possible to sign the striker before preseason but he didn’t rule out a delay in the transfer.
“Our intention is to sign a forward before preseason, but the negotiations can take longer.”
These were the exact words of Robert Fernandez during the official presentation of new signing Samuel Umtiti on Friday. This means the club are definitely looking for a forward but are yet to strike a deal with any.
Atletico Madrid striker Luciano Vietto is Barça’s favourite option as things stand and the club are in advanced negotiations for his signing. When asked about the possibility of the Argentine joining Barça Robert was rather coy than being specific.
“Vietto is a very good player. He has a lot of qualities and he’s at a great club right now.”
This further provides a hint that the club want Vietto. Robert Fernandez also stated that the club have experienced difficulties in signing a striker because most of them are avoiding the club due to the presence of Messi, Neymar and Suarez as they fear their playing time is in jeopardy.
“Yes, it’s very difficult to find a forward who wants to come here when we have Messi, Neymar and Suárez.”
Barça begin preseason on Tuesday (tomorrow) so the question is whether the club will announce the signing of a forward on or before that date. It doesn’t look likely though, but it’s very feasible that a forward is announced this week.
The club have already taken a bold step in showing the world their intentions to succeed this season. They have done well to sign Samuel Umtiti
from Lyon and were so fast in negotiating the arrival of Lucas Digne
from PSG, Denis Suarez has also joined now all that is left is for the club to sign a striker and the transfer window would be close to being perfect. They still have more than €20 million to spend.