Clubs like PSG, Barcelona were successful in signing their targeted summer transfers but some other clubs like Arsenal, Manchester United failed to bring in their targets.
Here is a compiled list of those players who were thought to be moving to a particular club throughout the summer but ultimately failed to do so.
1. Paul Pogba to Chelsea: For a while it seem Chelsea was going to sign Pogba earlier in the transfer window. The midfielder was identified by Mourinho as that man to sit at the base of the midfield with Matic whith Fabregas moving to a number 10. role but Pogba was made the number 10 in Juventus and given the legendary shirt number worn by the likes of Zidane, Carlos Tevez and Alessandro Del Piero.
Contrary to reports, Barcelona said Pogba was never close to signing for them and they never made or even though of making an offer for him.
2. Pedro Rodriguez to Manchester United: Barcelona winger Pedro Rodriguez left BArcelona in search of first team football in England. First it seemed like he was moving to Manchester Unitedafter agreeing a pre-contract but Chelsea came out of the ‘blues’ and signed him. In order to replace him, Manchester United signed the next man on this list.
3. Sergio Ramos To Manchester United: This was almost impossible to pull of by Ed Woodward. It seemed like Ramos flirted with Manchester United to get a new deal with Madrid. The Real Madrid captain was being touted on social media as one who was ready to experience a new challenge in England like Victor Valdez a a year ago but his failed to move and Manchester United lost again.
4. Nicolas Otamendi to Manchester United: Oh really again!!! What happened to United this transfer window? Manchester City signed the former Manchester United target from Valencia for around 30 million euros and he will compete with Mangala for a spot along Kompany in the citizens central defense.[post_ad]
5. Mikel Obi to any club in the world: For so long it seemed Mikel Obi was set to leave Chelsea. Earlier in the summer, Jose Mourinho reportedly told Mikel that he could leave the club as Alex Witsel would be replacing him but the Nigerian midfielder failed to move. He was linked to Fenebahce, Al Ain (his agent was in contact) and Everton but he told his manager he was ready to fight for his place. Wise move?
6. Karim Benzema to Arsenal: Was this transfer ever going to happen? Well we cannot say. It was understood that Madrid and Arsenal had agreed a fee in principle for the striker but the striker tweeted his desire to remain at the Spanish club.
7. Julian Draxler to Juventus: Massimo Allegri’s change to a 4-3-1-2 formation mean a trequerista was identified missing in the team and publicly noted as that man but the former Schalke 04 man remained in Germany to sign for Wolsfburg.
8. Oscar to Juventus: A substitute for Draxler if he could not be signed. Oscar has yet to consistently produce performances that could turn heads in East London. If Chelsea has signed Pogba or Witsel, Fabregas would have moved to the number ten role behind the striker which leaves the Brazilian on the bench but he failed to move.
9. Isco to Juventus: After Oscar said he would not be leaving, Juventus identified Isco as another alternative. Allegri went as far as publicly courting Oscar and Isco to turn their heads but Isco as a die hard Real Madrid fan and repeatedly said he was never going to leave the club of his dreams. The Los Blancos midfielder eventually stayed despite seeing Gareth Bale move to his favorite attacking midfield role.
10. David De Gea To Real Madrid: What a messy affair. De Gea looked set to move to Madrid just two hours before transfer deadline day in Spain on Monday August 31st but undue delay in filing paper works for the move stalled a transfer. Keylor Navas was later agreed in a deal to sign De Gea but again paper works were stalled and the two heavyweight have been playing the blame game.
11. Saido Berahino to Tottenham: Berahino scored 15 premier league goals last season he seemed to have outgrown the mid table club. The English striker was linked to first Liverpool but it was not until Totteham came with an offer for him did he look like signing for a club. Berahino took to Twitter to say he would never play for chairman Jeremy Peace again and even submitted a transfer request which was ably rejected. Maybe January Saido.[post_ad]
12. John Stones To Chelsea: Chelsea made three offers for Everton’s John Stones but were each turned down politely. When the England defender heard of Chelsea’s interest, he submitted a transfer requested which was rejected. At least he is still a ‘blue’.