World Cup

Flying Eagles watch: Argentina favourite to replace Indonesia as FIFA U20 World Cup host

Argentina have emerged as the favourite to replace Indonesia as the host of the 2023 FIFA U20 World Cup.

The South American country submitted a formal bid to stage the tournament after FIFA stripped Indonesia of its hosting rights. The decision is expected to be made by the FIFA Bureau in two to three days, with the tournament scheduled to start on May 20.

Nigeria’s Flying Eagles, two-time finalists at the World Cup, are among the teams scheduled to participate in the tournament if Argentina is confirmed as the host.

The Nigerian side finished third in the recently concluded CAF U20 Africa Cup of Nations in Egypt, and the team is expected to make a strong showing at the 2023 World Cup.

The FIFA president, Gianni Infantino, praised Argentina’s bid to host the tournament, saying that the country’s footballing tradition made it a natural choice to stage the competition. “We all know Argentine football, and surely it can host a competition of this level,” Infantino said at a news conference in Paraguay (as per VON).

While other countries have expressed an interest in hosting the tournament, Argentina was the only country to submit a formal bid.

Israel’s ambassador to Argentina, Eyal Sela, said that Israel was in favour of Argentina hosting the tournament and added that the country deserved it as world champions.

Argentina previously hosted and won the tournament in 2001, beating Ghana 3-0 in the final.

The country has a rich footballing history, having won the U20 World Cup a record six times and produced some of the greatest players in the game, including Lionel Messi and Diego Maradona.

This post was last modified on April 2, 2023 11:53 am

Imhons Erons

Share
Published by
Imhons Erons

Recent Posts

Can Akpom save Van Nistelrooy’s job? Leicester close in on Super Eagles-eligible striker

Leicester City are edging closer to securing the signing of Super Eagles-eligible striker Chuba Akpom… Read More

2 hours ago

Napoli reject first official bid for Galatasaray’s Victor Osimhen amid Arsenal and Man United link

Napoli have turned down an initial €65 million bid from Galatasaray for Victor Osimhen, with… Read More

4 hours ago

Sevilla FC: Nigerian prospect Ola Great receives trial invitation from La Liga club

Nigerian footballer Ola Great has received an official trial invitation from the Spanish La Liga… Read More

5 hours ago

Former Super Eagles midfielder reveals what Nigeria need to win AFCON 2025

Former Super Eagles midfielder, Sylvanus Okpala, has revealed what the Nigerian team need to emerge… Read More

10 hours ago

“He’ll train again tomorrow” – Alonso welcomes Boniface with open arms following scuffed Al-Nassr deal

Bayer 04 Leverkusen head coach, Xabi Alonso, has confirmed Super Eagles striker, Victor Okoh Boniface,… Read More

11 hours ago