News

“I lost an African brother” – Napoli striker Victor Osimhen speaks on the sudden death of Ghanaian star

The Ghanaian star is one of the hundreds of people who lost their lives during the tragic earthquake that rocked part of Turkey and Syria last month

Super Eagles striker has revealed his heartbreak at the sudden and sad demise of Ghanaian forward Christian Atsu in the devastation of the earthquakes that hit Turkey and Syria.

Atsu, who played for Turkish football club Hatayspor, tragically lost his life during last month’s earthquake, leaving behind his wife and three children.

Osimhen expressed his grief and condolences for the loss of Atsu, describing him as a brother and fellow African. He also mentioned that he was aware of and partook in the campaign to sell jerseys to raise funds for the earthquake victims, but he had no idea how much was realised from the project.

The Nigerian international also spoke of his pride in his teammates who organised the campaign.

What has been said?

“The earthquakes in Turkey? I don’t know how much my jersey was sold for; even my teammates like Bartosz Bereszynski and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia sold their jerseys,” Osimhen told DHA, as per Tutto Napoli.

“Eljif Elmas organized this campaign and of course, we supported it. My condolences to those who lost their lives in the earthquakes. I also lost an African brother in these earthquakes, Christian Atsu from Ghana.”

Late Christian AtsuLate Christian Atsu
Late Christian Atsu

The earthquake in Turkey resulted in the loss of countless lives and caused significant damage to buildings and infrastructure in the region. The football community has rallied together to support the disaster victims, with various campaigns and initiatives aimed at raising funds for those affected.

Osimhen, who has been in fine form for Napoli this season, also took the opportunity to reflect on his own career and goals. He stated that he is focused on working hard and achieving success with his team while also striving to make a positive impact off the pitch.

The Nigerian striker’s words demonstrate the camaraderie and solidarity within the football community, as well as the importance of acknowledging and honoring those who have been lost.

This post was last modified on March 8, 2023 10:53 am

Imhons Erons

Share
Published by
Imhons Erons

Recent Posts

Eric Chelle gets World Cup boost with Super Eagles star set for March return

Super Eagles striker Terem Moffi is set to return to action in March after spending… Read More

53 minutes ago

Out-of-favour Super Eagles star rules out Venezia move amid interest from England and France

Nigeria international Kelechi Iheanacho has dismissed the prospect of a move to Serie A, despite… Read More

2 hours ago

Man City, Bayern Munich, Dortmund, AC Milan, PSG target Nigerian star after stunning UCL display

Nigerian midfielder Raphael Onyedika has become one of the most sought-after talents in European football,… Read More

3 hours ago

Alvaro Morata to Galatasaray: What does this mean for Victor Osimhen?

Turkish Super Lig club Galatasaray are set to complete the signing of Spanish striker Alvaro… Read More

5 hours ago

Sevilla boss Pimienta reveals Akor Adams’ status ahead of first Sevilla game

Sevilla coach Garcia Pimienta has admitted that Nigerian striker Akor Adams may have to wait… Read More

9 hours ago

WATCH: Dribble-king Chidera Ejuke shows Akor Adams the ropes in first Sevilla training

Nigerian striker Akor Adams had his first training session with Sevilla on Friday, and he… Read More

14 hours ago