Categories: News

Matterazzi: Ighalo Still Relevant to Watford

Watford’s out-of-form striker Odion Ighalo still has a future at the club despite losing his place in the team, insists his manager Walter Mazzarri.

Ighalo attracted the interest of a host of big clubs – and was the subject of a £37.5 million bid from Chinese club Shanghai SIPG in the summer after scoring 13 Premier League goals before the turn of the year last season.

But the 27-year-old Nigeria international found the back of the net on just two occasions in the second half of Watford’s campaign, and he has scored just once in the league this term.

Boss Mazzarri changed his formation following Watford’s 6-1 thrashing at Liverpool on November 6, and Ighalo was dropped to the bench for the ensuing matches against Leicester and Stoke.

But speaking ahead of his side’s trip to West Brom on Saturday, the Italian insisted he does not want Ighalo to leave the club when the transfer window opens next month.

‘I speak about what I know and I speak about what I have seen so far this season,’ Mazzarri said. ‘He is a player that I like and I trust very much.

‘When he was in a good condition at the beginning of the year he played, and started the games. Of course he is a player that we need.

‘He is in competition at the same level with all the other strikers, and if we want to grow as a club and in the future go further in competitions, then you need to have at least six important strikers and Ighalo is one of them.’

This post was last modified on November 30, 2018 1:51 pm

SoccerNet Editor

Our editorial team at Soccernet.ng boasts over a decade of combined experience in covering Nigerian football, delivering timely news, expert analysis, and engaging content. With a passion for the game and a commitment to excellence, we connect fans to the heart of Nigerian and global football stories.

Share
Published by
SoccerNet Editor

Recent Posts

“Impotent Amorim” – Ex-Super Eagles captain reacts to Manchester United’s loss to Crystal Palace

Former Super Eagles midfielder Sunday Oliseh has blasted Manchester United players for their poor defending… Read More

44 minutes ago

Everything Chidera Ejuke said about Akor Adams on Sevilla debut

Super Eagles forward Chidera Ejuke has expressed elation at Akor Adams getting his Sevilla debut… Read More

9 hours ago

“We had a deal” – Trabzonspor President reveals Southampton’s shadiness over Onuachu’s transfer

Trabzonspor President, Ertugrul Dogan, has revealed Southampton prevented Super Eagles striker, Paul Onuachu, from moving… Read More

10 hours ago

Southampton boss lauds Super Eagles goalscoring duo after Ipswich victory

Southampton's head coach, Ivan Juric, praised Nigerian duo, Joe Ayodele-Aribo and Paul Onuachu after their… Read More

11 hours ago

Southampton’s Aribo ready to fight for top-flight status following goal against Ipswich Town

Super Eagles and Southampton midfielder, Joe Ayodele-Aribo has revealed his side plan to give everything… Read More

11 hours ago